Saturday, March 17, 2012

Moving to Orlando Florida handicapped housing

We have been planning on moving to Orlando, FL for some time and we will need to build the cheapest most structurally sound, environmental friendly house possible ( this means low energy costs, highly insulated).  So we are looking at steel prefabbed housing.  I say we need to build as we need wheelchair accesible and not just afterthought wheelchair access it needs to be designed in to start with! We currently live in a retrofitted house now and it is nice but doesn't suit our purposes.  I have 4 doorways in my current house I couldn't widen to 36" (have you ever seen the destruction and markings done on a daily basis to walls from a power chair you need all the width you can get!). I don't have a roll in shower it has a threshold it's unsuited.

Our needed space is not high we only require a large bedroom and a roll in shower and mostly open floor space. I want to build a house on slab for wheelchair purposes.  I just want a stained concrete floor.  Can you put foam board insulation against the soil in central florida?  What's the best way to insulate a slab in Central Florida?  I have a rough design which I've been working on:

Photobucket

I've tried to keep the dimensions narrow and long thinking this is a cheaper design?  Personally I'd love to have a garage big enough to put my 30' travel trailer in maybe someone can help me out with this design.

So we are looking for information, cost analysis, is it cheaper to live around orlando then in it? can we build a metal home in Orlando, FL? Would it be cheaper to do a larger detached garage maybe a quonset style building? Do you have to have flood insurance/hurricane insurance in Orlando? Does Orlando have good healthcare?

Please leave me some comments on this rough design in the comments below you do not need to login you can post anonymously!

4 comments:

  1. Anyone know where the cheapest impact fees are for new home construction around Orlando? Seems like Orlando has about $10,000 in impact fees in order to build a new home!

    I'm currently looking at a Genesis Steel Home kit the Magnolia it's 30'X48' which has a couple of hundred more square feet then the floorplan above which allows for a utility room! Anyone know anything about this kit builder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheapest way to insulate the slab is to incorporate it into your hvac system by running pipes thru it. Thereby you can get all your haeting and cooling through the floor. But being as it would be in FL you would have to have an additional condenser to get the moisture our of the air in your house.

    This could all be simply done by use of a geothermal heat pump. All you would need to do is make sure that you get one that supports both n floor heating/cooling plus a condense for the aforementioned moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heated and Cooled slab doesn't do anything for insulation, and in my view is a unnecessary luxury. my real concerns atm are to live in the city and pay $10,000.00 in impact fees or live in the county and pay $13,000.00 for a septic system. But I would still like to know if you can legally put styrofoam against the soil in florida because of the termite problem.

      Delete
  3. We are going to be in Orlando this next month. Does anyone have any recommendations realtors or builders that would put up such a house. Typical home construction around here is about $100.00 a square ft, Florida is higher. I want to trim all the fat, I want sturdy quality and don't require zebrawood cabinets and pink granite countertops from russia. I want fast efficient construction with pre-engineered drawings and no addons just straight up build it like the plan and go!

    ReplyDelete