Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Carrier Transicold problems 2000 Ford E350 Goshen Coach Part 4

Carrier Transicold problems 2000 Ford E350 Goshen Coach Part 4

Quick recap of events in part 1, part 2 and part 3.  I have a 2000 Ford E350 cutaway chassis cab powered by the powerful 7.3L powerstroke turbo diesel and a Goshen Coach body.  I had a failure with my Carrier Transicold A/C air conditioning unit.  This one wasn't as severe as some of the ones I had in the past but it effectively took the air down.  What happened again was that the Carrier system takes out the factory condensor mounted in front of the radiator and places a larger one in a box located on the drivers side just behind the drivers door.  It is cooled by 3 fans in the case of mine the Carrier CM-3, which pull a vacuum on the box the condenser is in drawing air from the side of the truck and exhausting the air under the truck.  the rearward of my 3 fans locked down taking out the fuse for all 3 fans, newer models have each fan individually fused so that this hopefully won't happen.

So today Lasseter came through for me and my new fan arrived via UPS which is good as I payed a premium buying it from them.  After diagnosing any electrical damage and replacing a fuse in the cabin that allows the fans to have power.  I installed the new fan fired up the truck and felt the cold air blowing out!

locked up fan front
Photobucket
locked up fan back
Photobucket
New fan back
Photobucket
New fan side stickers
Photobucket
New fan back
Photobucket

I have said it before and I will say it again failures always happen when the temps are at their extremes. A/C and tires always seem to go out when the temps hit the upper 90's. On these powerstroke diesels with no feedback from the glowplug system, you don't know the glowplugs aren't working until it's the coldest day of the year.

8 comments:

  1. Locked up fan is the common problem in A/C units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To solve the refrigerant problem that Spencer mentioned, look through the top glass of the receiver dryer bottle. The presence of bubbles means that it is time to fill the refrigerant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recap. I missed the event and I regret it now. I wish there would be another outing for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ever need an impromtu AC unit, just take one of those fans and blow it down into a cooler of ice. Works wonders when the ac is out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Locked up fans are a common problem in air conditioning units, especially the Ford e350 you are driving. Glad you got it fixed!

    - James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our truck has been fairly good to us. Fortunately and I knock on wood This truck has been beat up pretty bad in it's life but still wants to fight on. I'm on my 3rd ac compressor since owning it a few years back lol and I've replaced most of the ac parts since owning it but we are pansies and can't stand the heat, we are slightly more tolerant of the cold LOL

      Delete
  6. novated lease I have got some new information here. I will book mark it.

    ReplyDelete