Friday, March 18, 2011

My 1968 Mercury Parklane Convertible with yachtpanneling

     1968 Mercury Parklane Convertible with yachtpanel siding

     My grandfather bought this car for me in 1986 when I was 15 years old.  At the time it was parked in a carport and there she sat.  In 1968, 112 of these Parklane convertibles with the yachtpanelling were produced, 12 remain this is one of those 12.
     At the time I acquired it the Parklane was 18 years old a fitting age for a first car.  It's now 2011 and that Parklane is 43 years old! I never would have believed in 1986 that I would still have the car around in 2011, of course at 15 I wouldn't have believed I'd be writing about it in 2011.
     This 68 Mercury Parklane came with the 428 cubic inch big block motor and a 4bbl carburetor.  Miraculously this very same motor is still in good shape today with 120,000 miles on it.  The motor is tied to Ford's robust C6 transmission which has amazingly lasted all these years without requiring a rebuild as well.

 In this picture you can see the 1968 Mercury Parklane Convertible and a 1968 Mercury 4 door in the background that I had planned on using for parts.
 This picture shows the 428 cubic inch Big Block Ford Power plant
Here's a shot showing an overview of the convertible from behind.

The following is some information about this car from an article in "Old Cars" November 21, 1996 entitled: "Boats that don't float" by John Adamek

     The wood grain vinyl on the side was made by 3M and is called officially "DI-NOC woodgrain transfer" and it is walnut in color and comes in 2 layers the Walnut layer then a layer on top that has the 1/8" black pin stripes that run the entire length of the car spaced 2 1/4" apart giving it the appearance of board planking. The original cost for the wood grain package was $129.55
     John Adamek's favorite print ad for this car was in the March 1,  1968 copy of Life magazine on pages 66 and 67.
     It is believed that only 200 of these cars were made with the woodgrain. And according to Adamek he only knew of 15 convertible parklane's in existence.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful car. If given a chance I can really transform this car into a model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comments, I've been trying to decide the best way to sell her so that someone that wants to restore her will get her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u guys if u chance this car model means its looking good.Now i don't know how it looking like car????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post he is a great human..thanks for shared this with us..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I owned one of these back in 1976 through 1987. It was purchased in Ft. Wayne IN and I was the second owner. It had a 390 4v in it White with Red interior and Woodsides. Wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
    Website Hosting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buenas amigo mi nombre es miguel yo soy de republica dominicana y tengo ese mismo auto que esta detras del convertible y deseo saber si vendes partes de el estoy pintando el mio, y deseo tener algunas partes como la parilla ,los faroles trasero,y bases del capo,y bomper,guarda fango izquierdo delantero he tratado por www.obsoletefordparts.com ahi en u.s.a oklahoma,pero no he logrado nada aun mi correo es ochi0529@yahoo.es desearia su respuesta ,gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buenas amigo mi nombre es miguel yo soy de republica dominicana y tengo ese mismo auto que esta detras del convertible y deseo saber si vendes partes de el estoy pintando el mio, y deseo tener algunas partes como la parilla ,los faroles trasero,y bases del capo,y bomper,guarda fango izquierdo delantero he tratado por www.obsoletefordparts.com ahi en u.s.a oklahoma,pero no he logrado nada aun mi correo es ochi0529@yahoo.es desearia su respuesta ,gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quiero tener una respuesta Rapida a mi inquietud necesito partes de ese Ford Mercury Park Lane 1968 que esta detras del convertible ,mi correo es ochi0529@yahoo.es urgente necesito respuesta de mi informacion vivo en Dominican Republic , pero tengo mi hermano ahi en new jerssey que atraves de el podemos hacer negocio con esas partes que necesito ,por favor respondanme este mensaje. gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ese auto que sale detras del convertible me interesa para yo coger partes de el vendemelo entero y te lo compro contactame ochi0529@yahoo.es

    ReplyDelete
  11. dios mio respondanme necesito comprar ese auto que esta detras del convertible ochi0529@yahoo.es

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello
    My 1968 Mercury Parklane Convertible with yachtpanneling
    Fairly excellent submit, This webpage presents helpful data to us, I praise you
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you knew how to arouse interest in me! I like the article so much that I think I didn?t even notice that I?m reading with an open mouth! Really very cognitive! So I?m writing here for everybody to enjoy it! Have fun!!! clipping path

    ReplyDelete