Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I love to sing by SuperGirly


 I love to sing     by SuperGirly

    Ever since I was young, I've loved to sing. I can remember having solos in the children's musicals at church and even singing sometimes with my dad. As I got older, I got braver and started singing on my own during church services. I joined the Junior High School Chrous at Carterville, IL Junior High and when I went on to high school, I joined the chorus there as well. By this time, I had probably been singing solos in church for 5 years, maybe more. I participated in the high school spring musicals "The King and I" and "Anything Goes".
Even after high school, I continued to sing in church on my own and with the choir. For various reasons, I haven't attended church regularly in a few years.

     A few years ago, I found a really neat website that allows me to keep singing and share it with people.  It is a karaoke website called Singsnap.com.  Here, I can sing just about any genre of music and share it online with people.  I've even done a duet or two with people I've never met on this website.
 
I would like to share a selection or two with you. 
This first one is one of my favorites, "What A Wonderful World" written by Bob Thiele and George David Weiss and first recorded by Louis Armstrong as a single in 1968.  This song the antithesis of the racially and politically charged year that was 1968.  Dr Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered April 4th 1968. The original release of this song sold very poorly in the United States but has gained increasing popularity ever since as it's meaning has really taken hold.  Louis Armstrong's version of this song was finally inducted in to the Grammy Hall Of Fame in 1999 : What A Wonderful World by SuperGirly 
 
Here's another one I love "Ain't No Sunshine" originally recorded by Bill Withers on his 1971 album: Just As I Am. Withers' was a factory worker at the time he wrote this song making toilet seats for 747s.  This version, one of countless hundreds of arrangements that have been done of the song, was done by Eva Cassidy. This is my version of Ain't No Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment